Belgaum is located at 15°52'N 74°30'E15.87°N 74.5°E. It has an average elevation of 51 metres (2463 feet). The city is situated in the northwestern parts of Karnataka and lies at the border of two states, Maharashtra and Goa.
The present city was built in the 12th century AD by the Ratta dynasty who were based at nearby Saundatti
Kitturu Chennamma) (1778 - 1829) was the queen of the princely state of Kittur in Karnataka. In 1824, 33 years before the 1857 War of Independence in Murree, she led an armed rebellion against the British in response to the Doctrine of lapse. The resistance ended in her martyrdom and she is remembered today as one of the earliest Indian rulers to have fought for independence
Objectives of the Institution
1. To promote, establish, Maintain and develop a Medical college with a view to provide comprehensive relief and treatment and advanced care to citizens and to encourage and promote research and training in human ailments.
2. To evolve, organise and supervise, programes, to detect health problems, educate the public, regarding the control of various diseases which are prevalent in the country.
3 . To support, organise and encourage, clinical and basic research progrmes, relating to the diagnosis and treatment of human ailments.
4. To organise teaching and training of Medical undergraduates and postgraduates in the science of diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation and research in human ailments, with stress on preventive aspects of such diseases in the community.
5. To proved for undergraduate & postgraduate teaching and to prescribe courses and auricular in Medicine and surgery.
6. To Maintain books, Journals and other lectures on human diseases
Belgaum Institute of Medical Sciences started during 2005 in 25 acers of land, in the premises of District Hospital at Belgaum. The Institute located on, Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Road, Belgaum.